Thursday, January 11, 2007

Projet de loi visant à l'augmentation de la paye minimum aux Etats Unis

Struggling by on minimum wage (BBC)

Mrs Walter works as a cashier in a thrift store in Columbus, Ohio. She has been earning
$6.25 (£3.23) an hour, more than the US minimum wage of $5.15, but not as
much as the $7.25 the Democrats are hoping to make mandatory.
[...]
She has no health insurance, cuts her own hair and keeps her apartment at 15.5 C
to lower her gas bill.
[...]
The left-leaning Economic Policy Institute in Washington estimates that about 13
million people - one in 10 American workers - would benefit from the proposed
increase in the minimum wage, which has not risen in a decade.

Some industries oppose the increase, such as the National Restaurant Association
and the National Federation of Independent Businesses, which represents
small businesses.
They warn that higher minimum wages would force
businesses to hire fewer workers.
[...]

She says she has never collected unemployment compensation and
would not know how to apply.
"It's my responsibility for me to take care of
myself and show up for work every day and be kind to people.
"I know there are
others who are poorer than me. I am poor but I am not going to lay down and
act like I am dying. I am going to get back up and do something wonderful
because I have a life and that's expected of me."

La conclusion, qui est une citation de la personne cité comme exemple dans l'article,
est, je trouve, un exemple type de la mentalité americaine ou la conscience
de groupe est plus importante qu'en France, par exemple.

No comments: